Here’s what you need to know if you are receiving or interested in applying for Medicaid Coverage, also known in Pennsylvania as Medical Assistance or “MA”:
If you are already receiving Medicaid Coverage:
- Individuals will not be cut off of coverage if they were approved to be on Medicaid anytime after March 18th, 2020.
- If you were cut off, this is a mistake, and you should contact PHAN’s Helpline (877-570-3642).
- Medicaid covers medically necessary testing for COVID-19 without copays.
- Treatment for COVID-19 is also covered, although there may be a copay.
- If individuals cannot afford the copay, they will still receive treatment, although they may receive a bill for the copay amount.
If you need to apply for Medicaid Coverage:
- Applications for Medicaid are still being accepted and individuals should apply as usual.
- Individuals who are applying for Medicaid because they require COVID-19 testing or treatment should mention this in the Comments Box at the end of the application and the application will be fast-tracked.
- Individuals will not need to provide paperwork to prove income levels during this crisis.
- This is known as “self-attestation” and the Department of Human Services will provide Medicaid coverage based on the applicant’s word.
- Individuals can apply using COMPASS (www.compass.state.pa.us) or the COMPASS mobile app.
If you are not a citizen and need Medicaid:
- Immigrants, regardless of status, are eligible for a program called “Emergency Medicaid”.
- Immigrants must meet income eligibility standards, and they must be applying because they require COVID-19 testing or treatment.
For questions about Medicaid Coverage, or assistance applying, please call PHAN’s Helpline (877-570-3642) or email [email protected].