- Who We Are
- Our Focus
- Bringing Jobs and Coverage to Working Pennsylvanians
- Getting Implementation Right in PA!
- Protecting the Affordable Care Act
- Establishing a Competitive Health Insurance Marketplace
- Stopping Excessive Rate Hikes
- Ensuring Access: UPMC and Highmark
- Protecting Medicare & Medicaid in the Federal Budget
- Ready, Set, Go! How YOU Can Get Covered Under Obamacare
- What Does Obamacare Mean for You? For All of Us?
- For Everyone: Learn about the Affordable Care Act
- For Uninsured, Underinsured: Where to Turn for Help
- For Seniors: Understanding and Protecting Your Care
- For Small Businesses: Tools and Information
- For Advocates: PHAN's Policy Call Series
- What You Can Do
- Media Center
Step Up for Small Business!
Small businesses are the engine of Pennsylvania's economy – employing over half of our state's private-sector workers. But, rising costs, a lack of bargaining power, discriminatory pricing practices (like medical underwriting and higher rates for firms with more female workers) and a confusing and difficult-to-navigate web of private insurance plans have forced many small employers to drop coverage, hurting their ability to attract talented workers and undercutting their ability to grow.
Thankfully, the Affordable Care Act addresses these problems and takes important steps to put affordable, quality coverage back within reach of Pennsylvania's small businesses. It does this by:
- Ending insurance company discrimination and predatory pricing against women and people with health conditions.
- Making coverage more affordable for small business owners and their employees by offering new tax credits.
- Giving small businesses better choices and more bargaining power.
Under the Affordable Care Act, Pennsylvania has the opportunity to establish a new Competitive Health Insurance Marketplace (an exchange) that will allow small businesses to purchase high-quality, affordable health coverage. This new marketplace will allow individuals and small businesses to leverage their buying power to drive down costs, and will finally make securing good coverage, at a good price, a reality for all the folks who are currently on the outside of our health care system looking in.
But, we have to get it right--and it’s up to our state legislators to do that. In the coming months, they will need to enact legislation establishing this new marketplace. They’ll get to decide whether or not it has the power to ensure the best quality options, prices and value for working families--or if it’ll just serve the insurance industry’s bottom line. It is crucial that advocates drive this process.
Here's what you can do:
Contact your state senator and representive and tell them to Step Up for Small Business by making sure that our new health insurance marketplace is transparent and accountable to the people (not run by big insurance companies), easy-to-use and one that makes insurers adhere to quality standards so that folks have good, affordable choices.
Organize a Briefing Brunch in your community where PHAN staff can talk with your friends, neighbors and fellow business owners about the benefits of the Affordable Care Act and what Pennsylvania lawmakers need to do this year to get it right. Contact PHAN Organizer Erin Gill-Ninehouser at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (412) 512-9225.
Write a Letter to the Editor of your local paper calling on state lawmakers to establish a health insurance marketplace that works for working families and small business--not big insurance companies. Here are some ideas to get you started. Use our letters tool to submit your LTE today!