- About Us
- Get Help
- PHAN's Policy Call Series
- Affordable Care Act 101
- Medicaid Expansion
- Small Business Health Coverage Guide
- For Seniors: Understanding and Protecting Your Care
- Take Action
- Support Medicaid Expansion
- Protect the Affordable Care Act
- Sign Up for Email Alerts
- Contact Your Representatives
- Protect Medicare & Medicaid in the Federal Budget
- Ensuring Access: UPMC and Highmark
A Huge Opportunity for Pennsylvania Families, Businesses & Hospitals
Taking advantage of this unparalleled opportunity would allow Pennsylvania to bring health coverage to 500,000 -- 700,000 residents, lowering our uninsured rate by over 50%.
The federal government will pay the majority of the costs. From 2014 -- 2017 the federal government will reimburse states 100% of the costs of coverage; after that the reimbursement rate will slowly go down until it steadies out at 90%. This will bring an additional $43.3 billion in federal funding into Pennsylvania's budget between 2013 -- 2022.
Pennsylvania's state spending on the Medicaid program would only see a modest increase of 1.4% ($250 million per year) between 2013 -- 2022. The significant savings and revenue generated from accepting this opportunity will greatly outweigh the costs.
Read our special report "Making the Right Choice for Pennsylvania: Seizing the Opportunity in the Medicaid Expansion" to learn more about the benefits of extending coverage.