- About Us
- Get Help
- PHAN's Policy Call Series
- Affordable Care Act 101
- Medicaid Expansion
- Small Business Health Coverage Guide
- For Seniors: Understanding and Protecting Your Care
- Take Action
For Jobs, Families, and Our Economy: It's Time to Cover the Commonwealth
It's time for that to change, and we have an unprecented opportunity to change it:
Under the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), Pennsylvania an unprecedented opportunity to expand health care coverage to between 600,000 - 800,000 residents. The new law provides federal funding for states to expand Medicaid to people making up to 138 percent of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL).
If we don't accept this money, half-a-million working parents and individuals could be left uninsured and we'll lose the opportunity to create hundreds of thousands of new jobs.
- Step #1: Learn about what's at stake in this critically important decision.
- Sign on in support of the Cover the Commonwealth campaign (http://bit.ly/CovertheCommonwealth) and get involved in our advocacy efforts.
- Sign the petition telling state lawmakers and Governor Corbett: Don't Leave Our Money on the Table!
- Pick up the phone and call your state senator and representative! It takes less than a minute and makes a big difference! Here's what you need to know.
- Email your State Senator and Representative. It's quick, easy and makes a big difference! Get started here.
- Find out if you'll qualify for coverage under the Medicaid expansion and share this graphic to show your friends how simple it'll be to get secure, quality coverage if PA extends Medicaid.
If you're uninsured, we (and lawmakers!) need to hear from you. Help us help you (and 700,000 other folks in your shoes!) by sharing your story:
Why the Medicaid Expansion is Good for Pennsylvania's Economy
$3.2 - $3.6 billion in NEW economic activity each year, driven by new federal funding and the positive ripple effect it has as those dollars circulate through state and local economies. (RAND Corporation study, March 2013)
Creates Jobs: Accepting new federal funding to expand Medicaid coverage creates jobs across all sectors of Pennsylvania's economy. Two recent studies found that between 35,000 - 40,000 new, family-sustaining jobs would be created under the expansion -- at an average wage of $52,461 in 2016. (Economy League Report, April 2013)
Why the Medicaid Expansion is Good for Pennsylvania Workers and Families
Economic security for families, including 131,000 uninsured parents. Medicaid makes the difference between whether or not you can recover financially from an accident or illness. It eases the burden on families struggling with a recent layoff, and it allows parents to stay healthy for their children.
Why the Medicaid Expansion is Too Good a Deal to Pass Up
It's 100% fully funded by the federal government in the first three years (when the need and demand will be the highest). It's funded at 90% for the federal government after 2017, a much better rate than current programs. Pennsylvania taxpayers deserve to see their tax dollars put to work here in our state, not others. We've got an unprecedented opportunity to cover hardworking Pennsylvanians, create jobs, and strengthen our hospitals.